Friday, January 14, 2005

In the beginning

I thought a fitting way to start this blog would be with a scripture from the Hebrew bible which is shared by Jews, Christians and some other religions. I'm sorry that I don't know relevant passages in other scriptures such as Islamic or Hindu scriptures. If you do then please let me know.

I am starting with this because when I think about whether we should have a monarchy or not, for some reason this passage keeps coming int my mind.

1 Samuel 8:10-18

Samuel told all the words of Yahweh to the people who asked of him a king. He said,

“This will be the manner of the king who shall reign over you: he will take your sons, and appoint them to him, for his chariots, and to be his horsemen; and they shall run before his chariots; and he will appoint them to him for captains of thousands, and captains of fifties; and he will set some to plow his ground, and to reap his harvest, and to make his instruments of war, and the instruments of his chariots.

He will take your daughters to be perfumers, and to be cooks, and to be bakers. He will take your fields, and your vineyards, and your olive groves, even the best of them, and give them to his servants. He will take the tenth of your seed, and of your vineyards, and give to his officers, and to his servants.

He will take your male servants, and your female servants, and your best young men, and your donkeys, and put them to his work. He will take the tenth of your flocks: and you shall be his servants. You shall cry out in that day because of your king whom you shall have chosen you; and Yahweh will not answer you in that day.”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a teacher in England.
One of my pupils asked me "If the Queen commits murder can she be tried and sentenced in court?".
My instant response was "No" but then I thought "Why not".
I'm trying to find out what the rule of law is but can't find it anywhere on the internet.
I've chanced on your website. Can you help?????

Anonymous said...

After reading "a Royal Duty" and all the mess and public expense the royals have created, it is imperative we abolish the monarchy. Hey, let's face it - they have served its purpose. We have Canadian governemnts that run the country. Kings and queens are a thing of the past. After the Hell these ____ put Diana through - it is obvious, the foundation has crumbled! Camila broke up 2 marriages and Charles is found adulterizing with women! If he should come to Canada, he would get spit into the face and more. We loathe these people who are a poor role model to young people!!
In all of history, Princess Diana was the only royal that ever did good moral deed to our country!!!

Anonymous said...

All hail the Queen!